We roamed the streets of Pisa during the early morning hours with a mixed group of locals and travelers as ourselves. At one point, the locals started to the "Best of Communist Hits." They shouted Bob Marley's Redemption through the small alleyways. Suddenly their off-pitch melody was met with a showering of water from one of the homes above. We wiped off and headed to a piazza with another group of wanderers. They were strummimg guitars ad singing too. I exchanged info with Rachel as we planned to train to the beaches in a few hours.
After talking to Jaypee our hostel host, we decided to go to Cinque Terre. This is a coastal resort area near pisa. It's five villas on the ocean. The charming little towns were first discovered by backpackers in the 70's. The furthest village out Monterroso was our destination. After one connection, we arrived in Cinque Terre. A British couple informed us of the best route. I snapped photos of the countryside along the way. The beaches were filled with orange and green umbrellas and numerous brown-skinned people soaking up the sun's rays. Little shops and restaurants adorned the hillsides. After purchasing our return ticket, we walked down to the beach and then through some of the hidden streets to hotels and shops. There was a stone man chiseled into one rock formation. Our cameras kept clicking along the way. We stopped briefly for pizza margherita and sodas. I layed on the beach while rory explored the area. I noticed how open people are with nudity although it wasn't a nude beach. I saw older changing clothes on the shoreline bearing their bottoms while puffing on stogies. Some small children ran through the water's edge completely naked. I passed a woman that had her child suckling at her nipples. We continued up the incline towards the gellato stand. The path took us through a tunnel cut into the foothills that opened to the water. We met a couple from the san fran bay area. The woman was a principal and we chatted about their school system as compared to ours in the baltimore area. Our trek continued on through the quait village. Some shops were "closed until after the game." Europeans are serious about their world cup. I bought a few trinkets and gifts and then we hiked up a gigantic hill near a monastery where a St. Francis Assissi statue looked out over the ocean. You could see how clear the water was near the coastline. People paused to take pictures and point out the four other villas off in the distance. As we winded towards the bottom, we could see a couple of homes looking out over the fantastic view. Our trail opened up to the side of the village that we began the journey. It was time to edge towards the platforms.
We arrived back in Pisa near 11ish. The Fashion Show was over and the Garibaldi piazza was in full swing once again. I nearly crashed onto my pillow and was out while the chaos of the crowd continued below.
No comments:
Post a Comment